Monday, July 27, 2009

Disgusted

I've never made any bones about being a reality-tv whore, but even I have reached the point of total disgust, particularly with VH1. I mean, Daisy of Love...ok, we knew it was coming - Daisy is like the walking, talking cartoon caricature embodiment of every guy's adolescent wet-dream. But I watched the first episode and realized I simply couldn't stomach this round, particularly if I was going to have to tolerate her "singing." I have to mention though, I did catch T watching an episode yesterday and without her makeup? Yeesh, not pretty. Or rather, even more ghoulish than with the clown-whore makeup.

After 2 rounds each of Flavor of Love, I Love New York, and Rock of Love (I couldn't make it through the third outings), I'm just done with the celebrity+freak Bachelor format. Which is why I was all the more disgusted last night when I happened to stumble across the "preview" commercial for their new show featuring that iditotic gold-digging camera-whore, Megan, from Rock of Love 2. They actually built gold-digging into the premise by enlisting supposed millionaires as the contestants vying for her "love." And by "love," I actually mean the occasional lay and faked orgasm in exchange for some sort of shiny bauble because I'm fairly certain that she has a cash register in her chest where her heart should be.

I really wonder where they found millionaires who are so hard up they can't get gold-digging whores on their own? If I could actually bring myself to watch the show, it would only be with the secret hope that there would a crazy twist, in which after choosing her millionaire mate and professing her "love," it would be revealed that the guys were all hobos & bums rounded up from the local trainyard.


In other shows that I will never ever watch, I've pretty much taken a pass on all the other garbage that's on VH1 these days: Charm School, The T.O. Show, New York does a snuff film, whatever. I'm over it. I also really wish I'd never even seen the commercials for Fox's latest entry in reality dating freakshows,
More to Love. I suppose it's a step up from The Littlest Groom. But blech, I can't even comment beyond that.

I don't normally read or comment on tabloid gossip and such, but since I'm already on a reality show rant, I have to say that it's been hard to avoid the whole Jon & Kate Plus 8 furor. I have to say, the whole thing makes me so sad. I used to really love that show with all the cute hapa kids. And even though they seemed to have their flaws as a couple, you used to get the sense that Jon & Kate did really love each other. But now...egad, what a train wreck, and not the good kind either.

Obviously those poor kids are going to suffer the most (especially the older girls), but I'm actually starting to feel pretty sorry for Kate. I don't care what kind of over-controlling shrew she was, it's a pretty douchebag move for Jon to be out gallavanting around with a series of 20-something girls just a few weeks after filing for divorce. I mean, have a little bit of respect for the mother of your children, man! Or if nothing else, think about how this is going to look to your kids, who get to see your asshole face on E! and Extra and hear about how you're smoking cigs on a yacht with Christian Audigier. Asshole. If this guy seriously ends up with his own reality show like I've been hearing, I'm going to have to firebomb the station that airs that garbage.


On the flip side, I have to confess my new guilty pleasure is Miami Social on Bravo. Yes, I know the people on it are all pathetically self-absorbed and obsessed with being hot and in (despite the fact that, let's face it, they're all kinda old to be considered either), but I can't help myself. It's the train wreck factor, but without any of the pretense of a contest or being "housewives" or whatever. My favorite has to be Michael, who seems so so lacking in self-awareness that it'd be sad if it weren't so funny. His whole "feud" with Ariel could not smack more of jealousy and sexual tension. I especially love how he thinks he so fabulous when he really looks just like every other short, balding gay guy I've ever met.

No comments: