Sunday, December 23, 2007

Thundersnow!

Not to get hung up on the weather, but on Saturday we drove from Chicago to Iowa and we kept seeing warnings about a huge snowstorm that was supposed to hit NE Iowa that day. And apparently, not just any snowstorm, but one that the weatherpeople on the news had started referring to as "Thundersnow." Apparently it was coined because there was supposed to be a crazy snowstorm coming in where they were anticipating as much as an inch of snow an HOUR, accompanied of course by thunder and lightning. T found this new weather-related phrase to be absolutely hysterical. And while I admit that it sounded like kind of a crazy phenomenon, the phrase itself was probably only worth a couple laughs at best. During our 3-hour ride, I think he said it at least a few dozen times, usually followed by girly little giggles. I think I had to threaten his life to make his stop saying it, but even then, he still occasionally started laughing to himself, and I just knew that he was thinking about it.

Well, as predicted, later that afternoon the weather got really really nasty. Sleet, hail, snow, wind...blech. All the things that made me remember why we don't live here. It continued for several hours until, around 11pm, while I was nursing E, I saw a flash of lightning. And of course, a few seconds later, to my dismay, a rumble of thunder. I don't think there was ever any more thunder or lightning than that all night long. But just that one bit was enough to cause T to press his mouth to the door of E's room and loudly whisper "Thundersnow!"

No comments: